Monday, September 15, 2008

38, Third and final.


March 2008 and the bay window arches were now complete. I could make a start on my last arch, spanning the front door. This one was similar to the two I had done previously over the french doors at the rear, segmental with stepped extrados. It also needed to be rebated on the inside to accommodate the door frame, requiring stepped formwork.
The earlier arches I had constructed entirely of limestone, but now, having the saw, I was able to cut accurate voussoirs from bluestone for the inside.


The inside complete and the keystone inscribed with Edward, my eldest.


The limestone face now in place. I inserted foam strips at the base of each bed to ensure a rebate into which I can key the finish pointing.


The front wall, with the arches complete. From inside,


and out.

No comments: