Saturday, September 6, 2008

33, The laying resumes, again.


Towards the end of 2006 I had stockpiled a good supply of sawn blocks and cut enough quoins to start work on the bay windows. By December the stonework was high enough to position the cills.


The block from the previous post is shown in position on the upper right hand side.


The window cills in place at the start of 2007. To link them together I cut and chiselled matching corner blocks. These proved to be much more difficult than I had envisaged as the profiles of each cill varied considerably.


The saw was proving to be extremely versatile, it allowed me to cut bond stones accurately and in sizes that I had previously been unable to contemplate. Shown above is one such block on my stone barrow, ready to lay. Weighing 175kg, it is 680mm long, 240mm high and 415mm deep.


The same block again in it's final resting place.

No comments: